Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Jaycie

We've had a rough week here at our house. Well, it's been more like a rough last 5 months but a really rough last week. Jaycie started acting like she was sick. She wasn't really coughing or snotty or anything she was just whiny and clingy and needy and HOT. She had a huge fever, huge, like 102 degrees for three days. So she started getting lethargic and didn't want to eat so I made a doctor appointment.

(A little background: Madisyn and Jaycie both have a metabolic condition call MCAD Deficiency or Medium Chain Acyl Co-A Dehydrogenase Deficiency. Basically their bodies, genetically, do not posses the ability to mobilize a particular type of Fatty Acids and utilize it for energy. They need to avoid fasting for long periods of time, eat a heart healthy diet with less than 30% of calories from fat, and take a Carnitine Supplement so they can "pee" out their unusable fats. If they run out of carb and protein stores and their bodies have to turn to fat stores for energy they can go into a coma causing brain damage and even death. SCARY!)

We went to see their pediatrician (whom I love) and he looked her over. He could find no visible cause for her fevers so he suggested we head to Primary Children's Hospital.

Of course, I start crying.

I had worked so hard to keep her out of the hospital. Although I am grateful for the staff there, I know what they have to do to my kids in order for them to help and I don't enjoy watching it.

Long story short....

We stayed for about 6 hours. Ate some yummy slushies' and went home. 

I was so grateful that she recovered so quickly.

Now to play catch-up!

No comments: